Adampol-Polonezkoy
 

  

History of the House of Memory of Zofia Ryży

 

History

What can you see?

Visit

Description of building

 

History
The house of Memory of Zofia Ryży was built in 1881-1883 by Wincenty Ryży and was named in honour of his wife and last occupant, Zofia Ryży, who became a person who continued her father's work and promoted the mother tongue and history of Poland among the youth in Adampol. The house of Ryży family was one of the most magnificent houses in the whole village and fulfilled a role of culture centre. It included the richest book collection of Polish literature.

The house of Ryży family was also one of the oldest guest-houses in the village and was always teeming with life.

Numerous, multilingual notes in old memory books what confirms that was the oldest house. The oldest note was from 1916.

According to Zofia Ryży's wish and thanks to goodwill of her heirs - Lesław Ryży and Antoni Dochody - and thanks to support of Cultural Foundation of Adampol in Warsaw (which was founded in 1991), the house became a place, where all the souvenirs of the history of Adampol and life of inhabitants were accumulated and available to people. That was an idea of the curator of National Ethnography Museum in Warsaw. The preparation works were made in spring 1992 by a group of ethnographers from Warsaw. The House of Memory of Zofia Ryży was officially opened during the 150t anniversary of the settlement, on 4th of July 1992. In the years 2001-2003 the house was renovated and conserved.

There were some regular exhibitions. The owners: Antoni Dochoda and Lesław Ryży (Leslaf Rizi) made some renovation and preparation works. In 2002 a group worked under Jerzy Szałygina (a specialist for wood architecture conservation) guidance restored the building and its equipment. That was an order of Fight and Martyrdom Memory Protection Council. Dr Anna Malewska-Szałygin, from the Ethnology and Anthropology Faculty on the Warsaw University, cooperating with mgr Jolanta Adamska from the Fight and Martyrdom Memory Protection Council completed the exhibition.

The house consists of four rooms, where we can still see some old furniture and a piece of old equipment. On the walls and in the showcases there are photos, portraits and pictures, and also some documents that illustrate the rich history of the Polish equipment.

<<top


You can see:

  •  Furniture and house equipment

     Collections, which belonged to Ryży family

     Copies of documents from the Czartoryski Library in Krakow and from Adampol's parish books

     Materials from the exhibition in 1992

     Exhibits, documents and photos of families: Ryży, Żółkiewski, Dochoda, Wilkoszewski, Kępka and also some photos given by Wiktor Gażewicz (Viktor Gazevic), Daniel Ochocki, Fryderyk Nowicki, Rev. Grzegorz Kubiński and the Fight and Martyrdom Memory Protection Council.

<<top

 
Visiting:

The house of Ryży family can be visited in the period of:

1st May - 31st October in Saturdays, Sundays and holidays

1st November - 30th April on Sundays. 

 <<top

Building description:

The House of Memory of Zofia Ryży was made of big stones connected with each other by clay mortar mixed with straw, which filled the space in wooden construction of thick beams. Such walls covered by clay mortar are really thick and are a good protection from cold winters. A roof with two slopes of rafter construction of durable horse chestnut beams was probably thatched or covered with roof tile.

There is a small porch, which shows the way  inside. You come into the biggest room called Sala. Sala was  also a kitchen; it was a room as well, where the household members' life revolved. The second big room in the front side of the building was the Library. Its name comes from the times, when the family book collection was the biggest and the richest in the whole village and Wincenty Ryży collected books in his mother tongue.

As the number of family members grew, the house became smaller and that's why at the beginning of 20th century Wincenty Ryży decided to extend it and make it bigger. He added some rooms. The kitchen got a new bread oven, where mushrooms were dried. There was a totally new part of the house, which was built next to the old part and the door divided two halls. One part had the steep stairs which went to the loft. There were made two rooms more. The new walls were built not from the traditional stone, but they were made of horse chestnut beams with branches inside and clay on the both sides. Most of XIX and XX century houses were built this way in the village.

The future heirs of the House of Memory of Zofia Ryży, which was meant for social aims, are the daughters of Lesław, Agnes Modlińska (née Agnieszka Ryży), son Tadeus Rizi (Tadeusz Ryży), a daughter and a son of Antoni Dochoda - Ira Kohle and Jan Dochoda.

<<top


 

© All rights reserved Agnes Modlinska

Projekt i Wykonanie